This recipe for Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake was originally written by Cora.
In the 1970s she had a Witch. cooking show, but she is even better known for her role in the movie The Wizard of Oz as the
Cora says that the coffee cake will give you all the flavor
of an apple pie without bothering with messing with a crust. When I baked the coffee cake it was a little different than regular
coffee cake. The bottom was more like shortcake with a luscious apple pie filling on the top, It had a wonderful apple taste.
If you like apple pie, you'll be sure to enjoy it.
Cora suggested having
it as breakfast in the morning with coffee. To me it tasted more like dessert. Try it warm out of the oven for a real taste
treat or serve it cooled. Try it with a scoop of ice cream. I didn't get a chance to try it with the ice cream. Everyone ate
it up right away.
Cora's Apple Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons
butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Mix the flour with the 1/3 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl. Cut in
the 1/2 cup of butter.
2. Add the milk and stir in the flour until it is dampened.
3. Stir until
the mixture forms a soft dough.
4. Place in an 8" square pan. Cover with the apple slices and then dot with
5. Combine the 1/2 of cup of sugar with the cinnamon. Sprinkle this over the apples.
at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or when a cake tester comes out clean. I would check the bottom also to see how browned
7. Cut in squares and serve warm or let cool.